Choose life.
About Me
My blogger profile
occupation:
below poverty line student
dream job:
poverty line journalist
likes:
Kate
photos
all sports

Archives

April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005

General Interest Links
Bible Gateway
CIA World Factbook
Triviachat
Poetry.com
IMDb - Movies
EVERYTHING about Grammar

News Links
BBC
Yahoo! News
Google News
International Herald Tribune
B92-News
Yahoo! Full Kosovo News
crikey.com.au
Al Jazeera
Reuters

Media Specific Links
Poynter Online
Reporters Without Borders
Press Now - SE Europe
Associated Press
Journoz.com
B92 - Links
The Australian - Links
UQ School of Journalism

Syndicate this blog
RSS/XML site feed

Add to MyYahoo! Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe in Rojo


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Return to Top

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


The Earley Edition has officially moved to http://earleyedition.com/blog. My dot com, that is. Thanks for joining me.





Wednesday, September 28, 2005

On the run (again)

On my weekends away at Kate's parent's place on the Gold Coast I sleep with Kermit by my head. He holds onto the bedpost for dear life, and threatens to nibble on my ear.
Kermit

I also like to take pictures, as always. Usually closeups of flowers because that's not difficult and the result is usually pleasing to the senses, although in the 232 photos of flowers I have in iPhoto, I may know one is a lily...maybe. I would be dead if my life depended on telling you what the others were, including this kind. One with a tiny inchworm on it. Sometimes a quick crop will do nicely too.


That's about it for now. As for me, I'm off to bed so I can get up in the morning to watch Liverpool vs Chelsea in the Champion's League. It doesn't get much better than that... If I disappear off the face of the earth, don't worry, they can only hold me for 14 days without charging me. I think I may soon go into the offical black books if a story about police brutality I'm doing gets printed... not that it's fully about police brutality. Let me say openly to all law enforcement agencies out there that I don't accuse all cops of police brutality with any kind of blanket coverage. No, police are great. I love them. They protect me, they take people to jail who should go, they make people drive at speeds that keep me and my (future) children relatively safe etc. But as in all groups in society, there are some that aren't so cool. And anyone in society who is doing something illegal should not be exempt from, or above, the law. This was the talk I had prepared in my head for when someone accuses me of being another liberal journalist just taking any opportunity to paint authority figures in a bad light, like it's all their fault. Not at all, and I've never done that.

You don't hurt authority by questioning how it is used, you ensure its legitimacy by doing so. And by this I don't mean journalists are the be-all and end-all of this right to question authority. Journalists have always simply been the citizens who ask the questions, but are at the same time in the unique position of also having the means to print/broadcast the answers to those questions. Particularly in this age of citizen journalism (blogging, podcasting, video and camera phones) that divide between those who can and cannot publish is being crossed. I am a citizen who has a right to ask questions, has a right to try and find out what is going on. Call me a journalist if it suits you, but don't deny me my rights as a citizen.

Hm. Liverpool took a wild tangent there, sorry about that. Anyway, I'm off.

the earley edition - Posted by Dave @ 9/28/2005 10:43:00 pm || || Return to Top