Choose life.
About Me
My blogger profile
occupation:
below poverty line student
dream job:
poverty line journalist
likes:
Kate
photos
all sports

Archives

April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005

General Interest Links
Bible Gateway
CIA World Factbook
Triviachat
Poetry.com
IMDb - Movies
EVERYTHING about Grammar

News Links
BBC
Yahoo! News
Google News
International Herald Tribune
B92-News
Yahoo! Full Kosovo News
crikey.com.au
Al Jazeera
Reuters

Media Specific Links
Poynter Online
Reporters Without Borders
Press Now - SE Europe
Associated Press
Journoz.com
B92 - Links
The Australian - Links
UQ School of Journalism

Syndicate this blog
RSS/XML site feed

Add to MyYahoo! Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe in Rojo


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Return to Top

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


The Earley Edition has officially moved to http://earleyedition.com/blog. My dot com, that is. Thanks for joining me.





Thursday, September 09, 2004

Bringing it home

I was going to post tonight about the suppression of the press in Russia over the Beslan hostage situation...

As I walked in the door from a late tutorial, the SBS World News had already started. I thought there had been another bomb in Iraq or Russia, but noticed the writing on screen (taken from local news sources) and realised it was Indonesia. Stock footage? Something to do with the Bali bombers? And then it hit me.

A large bomb was detonated directly outside the front gate of the Australian embassy in Jakarta today (10.15am local). They say the building is bomb-proof, and for that reason there were only minor injuries inside. Outside at least 7 Indonesians were killed on the street, with 100s of injuries reported. The final number of dead is not expected to be high [Update: 11], but what is high? One is too many.

Australia's Minister for Foreign Affairs, Alexander Downer, said Jemaah Islamiyah, responsible for the Bali and Marriott Hotel bombings, was the most obvious suspect.

"Naturally enough, our suspicions turn to Jemaah Islamiyah.

"We had some advice a few days ago of possible... of a possible terrorist attack in Jakarta focusing on western-style hotels and we changed our travel advisory to take that into account," he said.

Asked if he thought the blast was specifically timed to take place during the Australian election campaign, Mr Downer said there was no way of knowing.

"I think for somebody in my position it would be quite dangerous to speculate on that.

"I can only say to you I simply do not know," he said, adding there has been no intelligence suggesting an attempted intervention in the election.

The Australian election is exactly one month away. I don't know what to think. I'm still of the belief it won't happen in Australia but.... am I just holding my hands over my ears screaming 'la-la-la-la-la'? I'll admit, it worries me. Which I guess is the point. No Australian's have died, but it may have the more paranoid amongst us second-guessing the next move...

Anyway, here are some real news sources:
  • Google News - probably the most up-to-date/comprehensive
  • BBC NEWS - Massive blast at Jakarta embassy
  • SBS World News - Many killed in Jakarta bomb attack
  • Yahoo (Reuters) - Jakarta Embassy Blast Kills Four, Wounds Scores
  • CNN - Deadly car bomb rocks Jakarta
  • Downer's doorstop interview transcript

    Most of those have additional links, audio and video, if you're so inclined.

    the earley edition - Posted by Dave @ 9/09/2004 09:03:00 pm || || Return to Top